An early 16th century church, near Keith Hall, it is in a ruined state. It is believed to have been built by Parson Alexander Galloway, who was the architect of the Bridge of Dee (completed 1527) in Aberdeen. Notable is the memorial to Gilbert de Greenlaw, who died at the nearby Battle of Harlaw in 1411.
Balbithan House, also on the other side of the Don from Kintore, dates from the 17th century. It is an L-plan house of three storeys, the south wing and stair tower are older than the rest of the building.
Boat of Kintore
Boat of Kintore on the east side of the burgh, takes its name from the old ferry that used to ply across the Don. George Marnoch, or "Boatie Marnoch", the ferryman prior to the bridge being built, was a well known citizen in Kintore.
The ferry was replace by the new Iron Bridge in 1882. The last two red-hot rivets were driven by Kintore Provost Thomas Fraser and Dean of Guild James Scott.
Tuach Hill is probably the hill which gave Kintore its name. The hill itself is said to have a Druid circle, which can now be hardly traced and the King's Chair where the king watched his troops in battle.
On old maps an area near the summit of Tuach Hill is named “Gallow Top” – a spot no doubt well known to the person who lived in Hangman’s Croft, opposite Bridgealehouse on what is now Northern Road!
A mile to the south-west stand the ruins of Hallforest Castle, built in the 13th or 14th Century. It was a hunting castle which took its name from the great forest in which King James IV hunted. The forest, which lay between Kintore and Kemnay, is also recalled in street names such as Forest Road, Tom's Forest.
Mary Queen of Scots is known to have stayed at Hallforest in 1562. It is said that it was built by Bruce and was a former stronghold of the Keith earls of Kintore, now the property of the Earl of Kintore. An oblong keep 48 feet by 30 feet, the walls are around seven foot thick and the castle in its current ruined state stands around 60 feet.
Keith Hall (formerly Caskieben), on the other side of the Don, dates from the 16th century, although the frontage is late 17th century and was added by Sir John Keith, who purchased the estate in 1662.
He was created the Earl of Kintore
in 1677, having being credited with saving the Honours of Scotland (the Scottish crown jewels).
Turnpike roads, the canal and the railway
It was in the early 19th century that the modern road system was shaped. The first turnpike was along the River Dee and was completed in 1798.
The post road that is now known as the A96 was one of the turnpikes that followed in the next 40 years. The modern A96 follows largely the same route (although the dual carriageway forges a new route in places, the old road can still be followed) from Aberdeen, by Bucksburn, the Tyrebagger Hill, Blackburn to Kintore, then north west by Inverurie, the Glens of Foudland and Huntly and on to Inverness.
Kintore was on the ill-fated Aberdeen to Inverurie canal, the only canal in Aberdeenshire. It was completed in 1805 and passengers, agricultural produce, coal and fertiliser were taken along its 18 miles at the dizzy speed of eight miles an hour in boats towed by two horses.
The canal went round the west of the centre of Kintore, crossing what is now School Road near Kintore Primary School and continuing towards Bridgealehouse, before turning back towards the River Don and the line that was taken over by the railway. On the 1867 map of Kintore, the canal has gone, but is recollected by “Canal Cottage” on School Road.
The days of the canal are recalled by the name Port Elphinstone, the canal terminus which is just north of Kintore. A small part of the canal can still be seen here.
Thanks to Carol Carnie, who was brought up in Brae Farm, Kintore and now lives in the Netherlands, we now know that part of the canal remains on the farm. You can still see the milestone on the bank of the canal which states that it is 13 miles to Aberdeen. You can find this at the bottom of Kingsfield Road, just past the house that used to be called Kintore Nurseries.
Never a financial success, the canal was eventually sold, in 1845, to the Great North of Scotland Railway Company
. In 1854, using largely Irish labour, the canal was filled in and the railway track laid along the route.
Castlehill was levelled to make way for the railway and the Loch of Kintore, which extended from the base of Castlehill to the old railway station, was largely filled in. The loch is still recalled in the name Lochburn.
The daily newspapers covering Kintore are the Press and Journal
and Evening Express
. The weekly newspapers are the Inverurie & District Advertiser and the Inverurie Herald
. Kintore is in the transmission area of Original FM
, Northsound One
, Northsound Two
Other Kintores around the world
We only know of four other towns named Kintore, named after the original – two in Canada (Kintore, New Brunswick
and Kintore, Ontario
) and two in Australia (Kintore, Northern Territory
and Kintore, Western Australia
Clearly they were named by emigrants who moved from Kintore to the New World. There are records of 120 emigrants
who left from Kintore station at 6 am on April 25, 1873 to help form New Kincardineshire in New Brunswick.
The origin of the Kintore township in Western Australia was listed on the Western Australia government site as 'unknown'. In response to an e-mail to them we received this reply:
"Thank you for your message regarding the townsite of Kintore in Western Australia. As a result of the information you have forwarded to us, we have added a notation to our names database stating that the townsite was possibly named after Kintore in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
"Unfortunately our records only show that the townsite was named after a mine in the area which was also known as Kintore in the late 1800's and the origin of the mine was not recorded."
Anyone know of any more Kintores, historical or interesting information that should be added to this site? Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, there are a number of websites in Japan which have pictures or text about gymnasiums with titles or pictures named "kintore". This puzzled for many years until a Japanese translator, Duane Johnson, explained: "The term "kin-tore," also written "kin tore" or "kintore," is made up of two elements. "Kin" means "muscle," and "tore" is an abbreviation of "toreeningu," the Japanese adaptation of the English word "training." The full term would be "kinryoku toreeningu," so you can see why they tend to go with the shortened form. In essence it means any kind of muscle-related training, ranging from push-ups and squats to more advance techniques of lifting weights and using specialized machines for such purposes."